Here’s a list of documents you will need to help ensure we file taxes correctly.

Personal Documents

Bring all documents below.

  • Photo ID (state or passport)

  • Social Security Cards, Social Security Number verification letters, or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number assignment letters for you, your spouse, and any dependents

  • Birthdates for you, your spouse, and dependents on the tax return

  • Bank account and routing number or a voided check for direct deposit of your refund

  • 2020 tax return (if you have it). If you filed last year with A&W Tax Services, we do not need a copy.


Bring all documents that apply.

Employment Income

  • W-2 form(s) for all jobs last year (your employer(s) will have sent you this by January 31st)

Self-Employment Income

  • 1099-NEC and/or 1099-K

  • Records of income not reported on 1099 forms

  • Records of expenses including receipts, credit statements, etc.

  • Record of estimated tax payments

Retirement Income

  • SSA-1099 form for Social Security benefits

  • 1099-R for pension/IRA/annuity income

Unemployment Income

  • 1099-G for unemployment benefits

Other sources of income

  • 1099-G for any refunds of state/local income taxes

  • 1098-T for any scholarships/fellowships

  • 1099-R for disability income

  • Income or loss from the sale of stocks, bonds, or real estate

  • Income or loss from rental property

  • Alimony received

  • Statements for prizes or lottery/gambling winnings

  • Interest and dividend statements from banks

  • Records for any other income


You may be able to claim tax deductions for some of the expenses you have. These deductions reduce the income you are taxed on. Bring documentation for all of the following expenses you have.

  • Retirement contributions, including a 401(k) or IRA

  • State and local taxes you’ve paid

  • Mortgage statements and property tax bills if you are a homeowner

  • College tuition (1098-T) and student loan statements (Form 1098-E)

  • Childcare expenses, including provider’s address and federal tax ID number

  • Receipts for charitable donations

  • Medical and dental bills

  • Records for supplies used as an educator

 Other Tax Documents or Notices

  • IRS Notice 1444 and/or 1444-B for your Economic Impact Payments (also known as stimulus checks)

  • Form 1095-A if you had coverage through the Health Insurance Marketplace

  • Documents from the IRS, Health Insurance Marketplace, your state tax agency, or anything that says “IMPORTANT TAX DOCUMENT”